Monday, April 7, 2008

Preparing artwork for the web

Ay yi yi!

Well, this website stuff is entertaining. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Actually, FolioLink (the web hosting site where my website is based) is terrific. The templates look great and are easy to use. It just takes time! Lots of time. But everyone at FolioLink is extremely helpful and I'm very happy with the results.

I'm still photographing and working with photoshop to get the images right so bear with me. There is a great article on FolioLink about preparing photos of your artwork for the web. There's a steep learning curve but once it's right, it's easy.

I've also been learning about how to protect my artwork on the web. Evidently con-artists are snatching images from artists online portfolios, duplicating them, transfering them to canvas, painting over them and selling the art as originals on Ebay. Who knew?

There are several options, such as watermarking your images with photoshop before you post them. However, it seems that protecting your art by managing file size and format is the first line of defense.

OK, back to work. I hope you find this information as useful as I did.

No comments: